RECIPE - Gluten Free Vegan Date and Beetroot Brownies
Here is probably one of the simplest gluten, dairy, egg and oat free brownie recipes out there. I plan to make these as often as possible as they are just so easy to make and the ingredients are really easy to get hold of.
The recipe originated from The Gluten Free Blogger but I ended up improvising as, as per usual, I didn’t have all of the ingredients. My main substitution was oats for rice flake porridge.
As you can see they have a great texture, they have just the right amount of squidge without falling apart and you are also getting a good dose of antioxidants, iron and fibre with the beetroots and dates!
3 Large beetroots (I use the 'ready to eat' no vinegar vacuum packed ones from Lidl but you can use raw - instructions below)
15 Medjool dates, pitted
100g Delicious Alchemy Rice Flake Porridge - Available online or try Sainsbury's own brand
80g Ground almonds
4 tbsp Maple Syrup or runny honey
4 tbsp Cocoa powder
1 tbsp sugar (any type)
100g dark chocolate (plain or flavoured), broken into small pieces
2-4 tbsp milk or dairy free alternative
1. If you are using raw beetroot, peel and top and tail them, cut into chunks (gloves are a good idea here!) and put into a steamer to cook until you can easily cut them with a knife. If you are using ready to eat beetroot, skip this step.
2. Blend the rice flakes for a good few minutes until they have reduced in size. Add the almond flour and sugar and blend for another minute.
3. Put the mixture into a large bowl and add the cocoa powder and the maple syrup or honey.
4. Blend the dates, then gradually add the beetroot. Add a dash of milk while the blender is on and keep adding until the mixture starts to spin in the blender and resemble a purple mush, apple sauce in texture.
5. Add this mixture and the chocolate pieces to the dry mixture and stir well. (Save some chocolate for the top if you prefer).
6. Put aside for around 20 minutes to allow to rice flakes to soften.
7. Preheat your oven to 180c.
8. Pour the mixture into a metal baking dish lined with greaseproof paper (shiny side up) or a silicone baking mould.
9. Bake for 30 minutes (check after 25 minutes).
Leave to cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Delicious Alchemy Rice Flake Porridge
Read My Review of Delicious Alchemy's Gluten Free Mixes
More of The Gluten Free Blogger's Fabulous Recipes