It's the end of the month and it's time to bring out the proper poor curry recipe.
This recipe is vegetarian, dairy and gluten free and costs about £1.50 a head.
My husband always goes 'eurghfm' when I tell him i'm making it but he always goes 'this is amazing' when he's eating it!
For the curry;
1 courgette, pepper, sweet potato, potato or a couple of carrots, chopped (whatever is in the larder)
1 tin chickpeas, rinsed
1 tbspn tomato puree
1 chicken stock cube in a mug of hot water
1 tspn chilli powder
1 tspn garam masala
1 tspn curry powder
1 fresh chilli (leave out if you can't tolerate anything too hot)
Sprinkle of cumin and fennel seeds
For the rice;
2 handfuls of rice per person
1 tspn of fennel seeds
Enough water to cover rice and above by 2"
1) Fry the onion, then add the spices and the chili. Fry for 3-4 minutes.
2) Add the chopped vegetables and a bit of hot water. Fry for 3-4 minutes.
3) Add the chickpeas and the puree. Fry for 3-4 minutes.
4) Add the stock
5) Cook on a low heat with the lid on for 1/2 hour
For the rice:
1) Wrap a tea towel around a saucepan lid
2) Add salt, fennel seeds, a drop of oil and hot water to the rice
3) Bring to the boil
4) Reduce heat to low
5) Put the lid on the saucepan
6) Simmer until the rice is cooked (about 15 mins)
7) Fluff rice with a fork
Serve together with popadoms!
These ones are my fave and gluten free!