RECIPE Flourless Orange Cake
This middle eastern dessert is perfect for Christmas time and for anyone avoiding gluten. I cooked this a couple of weeks ago without the aid of a blender and my husband complained that the bits of skin were too big! Luckily I’m getting a blender for Christmas so I can make it again properly!
3 medium oranges
6 eggs, separated
225g caster sugar
200g ground almonds
1tsp baking powder
1. Place the clean, whole and unpeeled fruit in water to cover, and bring to the boil. Simmer for 1½ hours or until soft, adding more water when necessary. (I cheated and microwaved the oranges in a Tupperware tub half filled with water for about 20 mins.)
2. Drain the oranges, cut into quarters, discard any major pips, and whiz the rest, including peel, in the food-processor, then cool.
3. Heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Beat the egg yolks and sugar together in a large bowl until pale. Beat in the oranges, almonds, and baking powder.
4. Beat the egg whites until softly peaky and fold gently into the mixture.
5. Pour into a 23cm (9in) springform cake tin and bake for an hour, until firm to the touch (cover with a loose sheet of foil if over-browning).
6. Cool in the tin and dust with icing sugar to serve.
Thanks to www.TimesOnline.co.uk for the recipe